Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Asking Questions on Day 3

Obviously overjoyed at my progress last night I went to bed feeling fulfilled, only to wake up at 4 am with questions.

Potty training has turned out easy enough so far, but is that because we've been bound to the house. The cold air and, what Long Island calls, blizzards (I'm from Syracuse, school doesn't even close for these storms)have prevented us from taking any outside destinations. So, since I sign up for every library class they'll let me, and I find any means of getting these kids out of the house, how do I handle the potty training when we're out? Suddenly it seems that diapers might actually be easier.

"What about the trip to Philly in three weeks? Do we keep stopping?"

"No, we put a diaper on him for those," my husband replies, head buried in his pillow.

"But isn't that detrimental? Isn't that confusing him? I think once we're done, we're done."

"Stop. Stop where you are going and worry about it when it gets closer."

"Well, what about the stroller? The walks I take on the boardwalk." Keep in mind I haven't walked the boardwalk in over a year.

"They pee before and then after."

Sure to my husband this sounds easy, but for some reason I can't wrap my finger around it. It's like baby food. No one else seemed to have a problem with the simplicity of introducing rice cereal and baby food, but I did. I struggled over times. Should I give him rice cereal right after his bottle or should I wait? Should I give him baby food and then his bottle for lunch or vice verse?

Regardless, today I'm struggling with questions. Do I take the diaper off him at night too? Do I drive to the store and let him pick out his big boy underwear and toss away all pull ups by the end of the week? Would putting him in a pull up when we went to library class confuse him? Do I need to carry the potty seat with me when I do take them out? And what about these 20 minute intervals? How long until I can start spanning them out of waiting for him to tell me he has to go? Is this what I should be doing now?

Sigh. My head is full of questions that I could probably find in a book, but who has time to read a book? This coming from an author of two potty training articles. If my editor ever read this they'd probably kill me.

No comments: