Friday, January 30, 2009

Parent/Child Workshop at Library

Checking out the library's Children/Parent Workshop is a must. Compared to Swim Classes at the Rec, which we've taken time off from over these cold months, the Workshop is a must have good time for all that equals a long hardy nap afterwards. The only disappointment I have is Nugget missing the first two sessions due to the Croup.
Walking into class was like a parents cabin fever, "I miss the park," kind of dream. The room is filled with stations of toys. In the center of the huge carpeted open room there's slinky tents, foam stairs, a ball pit and several other appropriate climbing "get that energy out" toys. To the right of the room is a block station, music station, mock traffic station and random toys, and to the left is a kitchen station, hundreds of random balls, books and walking toys. As I placed Nugget in the center of the room, allowing him his choice of play, I think he was overwhelmed, or just in aww at all the things he could play with, because he just sat there, mouth hanging open, for a good five minutes, staring at the possibilities before him. And then he was off. The hour flew by as Nugget crawled through tunnels, threw all the balls out of the pit, and made use out of every station in sight. Every now and then he'd stop to interact with another child, but soon he was back to his play adventure, not even letting the photographer who was there get a good look at his face for a shot.
The class ended with "Circle Time" where we sang songs and listened to the librarian read two stories. Nugget and the rest of the kids were exhausted at the end, but us moms were refreshed and reconvened at Starbuck's to continue our wave of chit chat.
As we left, in the midst of our rainy snow storm, I stepped into an ankle deep puddle, got soaked as I put Nugget in his car seat and another car drove by and sloshed me-no joke even my underwear were wet, but even that couldn't ruin my new library class day. Nugget slept for two hours afterwards and I got cozy in some warm sweats, with a warm glass of tea, and caught up on the Real Housewives series-even though there were a million other things to be done.
I can't wait until next week.

*Note: I should mention that since this is called the "Parent/Child Workshop" there is a different speaker set up each week to speak to the parents about important issues. This week it was a Nutritionist who had a display of carrots and other nutritional food set up for you and your child to sample and discuss how to get your child to eat more fruits and veggies. Since Nugget eats everything except Lima beans and jell-o, weird-what kid won't eat jell-o right?, and since he was to busy playing for me to stop and chat I didn't get a chance to get more informative on that end. Though my friend who went last week did tell me that there was a dentist there talking to parents about getting their child in to see the dentist. Dentist? Yep, apparently babies are supposed to be making their first dentist visit at 6 months! Well Nugget's daddy will be called in for this one. I surely don't want to be there to see how they get my 1 year old to even open his mouth to show his teeth. I'm sure I'll be back to report on that one.

No comments: