Monday, January 5, 2009

Is My Son Going to Grow Up To Be a Jack-Ass?

I never thought twice when my son hit his first Halloween season and loved it. I'm a Halloween fanatic. I love the apartment dressed in creepy spiderwebs, hanging skulls and hollowed pumpkins. So when Nugget walked under our skeleton chandelor that set off pulsing red eyeballs, skeletal screams and sounds and loved it, I couldn't have been more pleased. As we shopped at Party City to pick out Halloween costumes and Nugget pointed to all the creepy things and laughed, so did I. Even as a mother of two little kids passed by, feeling obligated to tell me that my husband was scaring the crap out of my son and that she thought it was horrible, to which I turned and saw my husband with a Jason mask on in front of Nugget, I has to laugh. I believed, well believe actually, that a child learns from his parents. How would Nugget know to be scared of something if his parents never showed him the fear or showed him the hestitation from that something? Nugget saw a haunted house, several kids in Halloween costumes and had the time of his life.
My husband and I went to Toys'R Us in Times Square while I worked on an article one afternoon a little bit after Halloween. We had a wonderful time. But the one thing my son loved was the Jurassic Park exhibit. If you've never been they've got a giant T-Rex that grouls and moved his head and neck as you walk by him. To be honest, I might have found this a little intimidating, but Nugget kept pointing at the T-Rex going "Oh-Oh." Of course I had to ham it up and take as many pictures as I could. And you know what? Several of the pictures I email came back with "I can't believe he wasn't scared," comments. But again, I have to go back to my theory-Nugget only saw something he thought were cool and something that excited his parents, so why should he know any different? Then when Christmas came around and he sat on Santa's lap without a problem, no tears, no hesitance, nothing, I was proud. Parenting had been hard, and something I was never sure I would be good at, but somehow I was doing the things I set out to do-correctly.
But suddenly my opinion is starting to change. Nugget is fearless, that my husband and I have been boastful of. But now, as he's begun taking objects like the remote control, knocking it into his head and laughing I wondering something else. Is my son fearless because we've encourgaed it, or is my son one of those boys who grows up to know no fear and ends up being like one of those guys on Jack-Ass-swallowing live fish, stapling themselved in the head or throwing themselves off a moving vehicle because they have no fear? This I'm starting to question. And my husband, who laughs at Nugget hitting himself with something in the head and then laughs, which only encourages him to do it again, is starting to possible lean my way too. Although the main responce I get is "He's a boy," which only fuels my fire.
So I ask you, mothers of Long Beach, if you see my son doing something reckless as he gets older-could you give me a heads up. I will never accuse you of being nosey or ask you to mind your own business, I swear. But I will be greatful and attempt to conteract the fearless my husband and I instilled before he auditions for Jack-Ass.

No comments: