Sunday, October 5, 2008

They're Going Down


I've always wanted to be June Cleaver. Don't ask why. It's just a vision I've always had of myself since I was little. I know what my house looks like, my kitchen's white and my writing room is a cozy little loft/attic that's filled with sunshine and a L-shaped white desk. There's also a tree outside the window in the loft that looks out onto the green yard beside my writing seat. I will have at least 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl, a successful writing career, a craft station where I doddle and make things for the home and best of all I will have warm hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies ready for my kids when they come home from school. We'll sit around and talk about their day, I'll help them with their homework, I'll horse around with them and enjoy my time, cook warm suppers that we'll all sit around the table and laugh and tell stories, and finally we'll all congregate in the living room, where I'm knitting or making someone, and watch television and movies together.
I guarantee 90% of people reading this are laughing out loud, while the other 10%, being my friends and family, who am I kidding they're probably the 90% who's reading this, are scratching their heads and saying, "What?"
You see, that's because pre-Nugget I was a wild, reckless character who talked loud, played hard and never slowed down. And now I'm talking about being June Cleaver?
That's right, but I've found the twist. Little by little I've been thinking of ways to manage my time better. I've pondered the question, "How can I be June Cleaver, but still be myself" and I feel as if I'm getting closer to it. It goes right back to the saying quality not quantity. Each day I do something small. I may have 5 other projects that are lying around the house to be done, my husband is so ready to kill me, but one by one I'm knocking them out of the park and creating a June Cleaver world that's going to be more than fun.
To name a few things that I've accomplished, I've made my own baby food from fruit and veggies at the local Farmer's Market (enough to store for weeks on end to save me time and hassle), I've made my own tomato sauce from local Long Island summer tomatoes, you've never tasted anything as delicious as the fresh taste of homemade summer sauce (again, I made enough to fill my freezer and give away to neighbors and friends as a nice thank you gesture), made homemade chicken and beef soup (enough again-running out of freezer room), begun to organize my recipes (I'm dividing them up in separate notebooks marked Deserts, Sides, Entrees and Others), started collecting sea shells for a home craft project I'm in the mist of and best of all-I've made and successfully completed Nuggets first Halloween costume. That's right-I made it!! And better yet, I thought it turned out so cute that I took the scraps and made the same one for my dog so I can put them together next week for photos, which I will send out with a 'Happy Halloween' label to all my friends and family.
As someone once said on TV that stuck with me, "I'm becoming the woman I always hoped I'd be."
And it's true. I finally feel like I'm on my way. I've found a balance in my crazy life that allows me to write, cook, craft, complete the million phone calls and errands I have and raise a healthy and happy son who's with me through thick and thin. I am now on the way to becoming the woman I want to be-and it feels right.

No comments: