Sunday, October 5, 2008

I've been overlooked

It's a long folklore with Italians, you have to protect yourselves from others who wish you harm. It can come from jealousy, anger, spite, etc. but for whatever reason someone who wishes you evil or improper thoughts can 'overlook you.' You can feel the results of being overlooked many ways, one of which can be an aching headache. There are blessings that Italians do to ward off Overlooker's and there are protective charms they wear around their necks, the symbol of a hand with two fingers pointing downwards. My grandmother gave me mine years ago, but I can't remember what I did with it. Well, I better start thinking quick because someone has wished me evil injustice. My son, a well sleeper thanks to the Baby Guru(I will definitely be introducing you to her soon),has suddenly started popping up in the middle of the night to play. I'm talking waking around 11, going back down at 12 and then getting right back up at 3am to talk, play and cry and cry until we can get him to go back down-we've yet to manage to do that in less than an hour.
At first I thought it was because I switched his formula. Maybe he was hungry, not getting enough nourishment, etc. So I tried to give him a bottle he didn't want. Next I thought it was because he was sitting up. It was kind of humorous actually, as humorous as one can be at 3 in the morning, I'd walked over to his crib and there he'd be sitting up crying. Only his arms would be down by his side and his chin was resting on his chest.
"I think he sits up accidentally and then can't figure out how to get back down," I told my husband one night.
As cruel as it sounds we actually peeked in on him for a few minutes as he sat and cried, his body limp and tired, and giggled. It was so cute! And we couldn't laugh in front of him. We try not even to make eye contact at night, because once we do he interprets that into play time. Then someone told me it's because my sons crawling, and once they're crawling and active they have a harder time sleeping because they want to taste their freedom again and again.
But now I think that's all malarkey and I'm admitting the truth to myself-I've been overlooked. And for probably good reason. My son goes down every night at 6:30 and sleeps until 7 or 7:30 am. I know, I'd probably overlook me to.
But to the Overlooker out there who wished me harm, aka a son who keeps popping up in the middle of the night for the past week, I'd like you to know that it wasn't always this easy. My son was a son who didn't nap, took forever to sleep through the night and cried a lot. But, then I met the Baby Guru and that all changed. She showed me what I was doing wrong, taught me how to put my son down at night and best of all she got him to take two 2 hours naps in the day and go down, in the day or night, without being rocked, rubbed or soothed. I simple kiss him on the forehead, lay him in his crib and smile to myself as he drifts off into the night, or day.
I'll introduce you to the Guru soon enough, but for now I have to find someone to take this Overlook off me!

No comments: