Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Morning Dwellers Are On Park Avenue

My S.I.L Pucker uses the best scenario to describe motherhood. "What do you mean the mall doesn't open until 10?" To others this story would probably raise a questionable brow, but to mothers it's answered with a knowing giggle and a "What's up with that," conversation.
Becoming a mother means so many things, things like sore nipples, sleep deprivation, dark circles, stained clothes, early bedtimes, missed late night television programs that everyone talks about and a world that seems vacant until after ten am. But to those mothers who seem lost in the morning, searching for any type of human contact due to the child who gets up at 6am when even the Today show isn't even on yet, I've found your cure. It's known as Park Avenue. There in the mist of the coffee shops, diners, gyms and churches you'll find a sea of people getting ready for work, running to the train, ordering x-large coffees and working off those late night drinks they may have consumed. But more importantly you know what you'll find-mothers pushing their children in strollers! That's right, just like you other moms whose children get up at 6 am are seeking human comfort-it may not be in the form of verbal discussions, but sometimes being among the crowd and seeing the scene unfold is enough to make you feel like your part of the rest of the world. For that, and the window shopping that I do everyday, I love Park Avenue. Even when I'm alone it can make me feel as if I'm surrounded.

No comments: