Monday, March 1, 2010

The Happiness Project

Is it me or is EVERYONE coming out with a book on what they did to make themselves happy, or what they did to find their purpose?

The Happiness Project, a book about a woman (who was a lawyer, comes from money, has a happy marriage, two daughters and family next door to her, that she likes)who spends a year figuring out what she, and you, can do to make happiness exist everyday. One of the examples she gives, "Make your bed every morning."

This got me thinking, I should pay attention to my made bed. If there's a day that the morning gets to hectic and runs into the afternoon/evening and I find myself walking into my bedroom at night, haggard and preparing to plummet my body under the sheets, I should write it down. Day 1=bad day. Bed not made. And if there's a day where everything goes perfect, the kids are happy, I get my writing done, the house is spotless, my husband does the dinner dishes (well at least puts his plate in the sink), I should write that down. Day 2=Mary Poppins like day. Bed made.

I know, I'm a bit grumpy this morning. Truthfully I do get the message about starting the day off with a made bed, my grandmother embedded this in my head years ago. Even after long hard days the one good thing that makes me relax is walking into my nice clean bedroom (my haven as said in Feng Shu)pulling back my crisp sheets and settling down with a book, instead of looking around, worrying about all the things I didn't do along with all the things I need to do. I guess I'm just bitter about the self-help trend that seems to be taking over the book shelves, and my New York Times Book Review section. The Julie&Julia Project, the book about the woman who lived a year of her life doing what Oprah said, and so many more haunt me. What happened to my lovely chick flick books? The ones that made you giggle, smile and read through it in less than a week. The one's you couldn't wait to talk about with your girlfriends and pass along.

I'm sorry, but after a long day taking care of children, a dog, and a husband, the last thing I want to do is read a book that attempts to cover why I have spats of unhappiness, or sit down with my cup of tea and frozen grapes, excited to read the last section of my favorite Sunday section, and find out that The Happiness Project took up the front and middle section. You want to know why I'm happy about your project lady? Maybe because your telling me to start my day off by making my bed, meanwhile you have a housekeeper and nanny taking care of yours. If I'm about to take happiness advice from a happiness writer it certainly isn't going to be from someone telling me to do something she's not.

Ah, now I feel better.

No comments: