Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Don't Want To Potty Train....I Don't Want To Potty Train

"This is it. This is the last pack of diapers."

At least that's what I told myself when I made a quick trip to Waldbaum's last week for an extra box of diapers.

"Nugget eats fruit faster than it can grow on trees, Meatball's formula hasn't been on sale since before he was born, and I can't seem to get my grocery bill under $250.00"

So if X equals Y and Y says Nugget loves to sit on the potty and could probably be potty trained if I took the time, than Z means....it's time to potty train.

"Monday," I told myself. "I'll conquer Nugget and the little boy I watch together. It will be a Valentine's present for my little boys mom and me."

So there it was, laid out all nice and neat, and then yesterday, Monday, came. I was toast. I may have written two articles on potty training for magazines, but actually DOING the job was a lot different than writing about it. And when I say different I mean....motivating.

The first morning pee in the potty was a success. An M&M was given as a reward. I talked about putting up a chart in the bathroom, stickers, treats, and all the fun things that would motivate them, but slowly, as I struggled with a crying baby on my hip and two boys who would rather run around and bounce off each other than sit down for two minutes, I realized it wasn't the boys who required so much motivation or enthusiasm, it was me. Without my energy, to which I had none since I the day before was the Superbowl and we hosted a Polar Bear/Superbowl party that began at 9 am and ended at 11:30, potty training wasn't going to be much of a success. It wasn't the boys who needed a cheerleader, it was me.

Before lunch I had three successful potties, five attempts and two accidents. By the time they went down for their nap I was spent.

"Alright boys, after your snack We're going to sit on the potty again," I said after their nap.

But that plan was disrupted by an unexpected play date visitor for the kids, and for mommy of course, to which I spent inhaling coffee and complaining about how tired I was from potty training.

Maybe today I'll have more luck. Maybe I should start by making them a chart. Or is this just another excuse to delay my potty training process?

No comments: