Friday, February 12, 2010

Have I Really Done It?..Potty Training Day 5

From the start of the week, tackling potty training on the morning after Superbowl (note to self: next time begin potty training after a full nights rest), I thought about giving up, putting it off, and breaking my promise to myself that I would not by another pack of diapers.

Yet, here I am, at the end of my work week, aka Day 5 of training both kids (mine and the little boy I watch)going through all the emotions in my mind. The lows, the highs, and the confidence that I can drop the twenty minute and wait for those words.

"Potty mommy."

At first these words were more of a manipulation. A manipulation to get out of time out, to get another treat, another sticker, another hug, and some time away from his little brother when he was acting up. But now, to my surprise, they're truthful. He speaks and we run, he sits, does his business, puts his seat away, flushes the toilet, and puts the top seat down. That's more than my husband!

It's been only 5 days and we've come so far. It wasn't easy, for me that is, my two year old seemed to think it was a joy (the treats and stickers, and I think his age, helped), and I know we're not at the end of our rope yet but at least I know we're close and that, just as I promised myself at my last trip to Waldbaums, I'm not going to buy another pack of diapers for my 2 year old again.

Now, if I could just say the same for my 8 month old who seems to go through a pack a day.

No comments: