Tuesday, February 16, 2010

All You Need Is Pee

"Mommy, I poop on potty."

These five glorious words were the first ones my son utter this morning.

"You have to use the potty!"

"Yeah," he smiled, proudly running to the bathroom to sit on his throne.

And sure enough, there was pee. A lot of pee!

"I'm so proud of you," I beamed.

Inside I thought, this is it. This was my boost to get me back on track after a non-consistent potty day, due to my exhaustion and lack of motivation, yesterday. We're back on track, and taking one day off didn't impact my child as much as I worried it would.

I still never got around to looking into any of my potty training books, donated from authors who I've written articles on, or searching the Internet for potty training tips, and I still don't have much energy to tackle the potty again today. But I did find out why potty training for me might be a little harder than others, despite training two kids at once and dealing with an 8 month old who screams and carries on every time I put him down to put his brother on the potty, I've kept the potty in the bathroom, have gotten both boys to use the adult potty (easier clean up)but I have to pick them up to put them on and off every time, and taken all diapers and pull ups off leaving them "naked under their clothes," as my mother referred to it in horror yesterday.

"Your crazy," Baby Guru told me. "Put the potties in the living room, keep their pants off and let them go when they need to go."

In theory this sounds much easier. No trips carrying them over the living room gate, no on and off the potty, no on and off of pants, and extra laundry trips for the accidents, and no work on my part at all really, besides a little motivation, reminders and treats trips. But there's something about a potty on my living room rug, kids peeing beside their toys and my eight month old crawling around it that makes me think twice about the luxury and label myself a glutton for punishment. Besides, wouldn't the possible accidents on the carpet and little tinkles of the floor equal just as much work in the long run?

Going on Day #9 and feeling declined.

No comments: