Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thanks for the Emails

Your emails really did warm my heart. I received all different types of advice on what to do with Nugget and his restless nights. And, yes, in case your wondering if Nugget is still giving us a nightly struggle, he's still awake in the night.
So, for before I talk about what I did and what I'm about to do, I want to dedicate the advice moms gave me to any mom out there who's struggling as much as we are.

1) "He's teething. Think about how you feel when something aches in your body. Doesn't it always seem to hurt more during the quiet solitude of the night? I say soothe him. Rock him in your arms, continue to sing your lullabies and most important stay up on the Tylenol. Take care of the pain before it starts, even if he isn't cranky at that point in time. The less pain equals more sleep for you and him. And don't worry, just like the sleepless nights when you first brought him home, this will pass too."-B

2) "Since you share a bedroom with Nugget, pull out your pack-n-play, put him to bed in it, instead of his crib, and when you go to bed wheel him and the p.n.p into your living room so that you can begin letting him cry it out during the night without him being right next to you. It's hard, but it's better than both of you being sleep deprived and having him sleep in your bed."-K

3) "Get him back on his regular routine. As much as I've always sworn I wouldn't stay home in the afternoon just so my child can have his nap time, it sounds like you might need to. Remember all those books and articles that cover getting your child to sleep through the night-one of the top things was to make sure he was not overtired. You said he hasn't been napping either, so I would start there. Focus on getting him back on his nap routine and see if that doesn't begin reflecting into his night time behavior. If anything at least you can nap and catch up on your sleep when he does."-E

4) "Do you have noise in Nugget's room? My husband and I shared a roomed with our daughter for the first year, and it worked out fine until she was around 11 months and realized that we were in the room with her. Putting her to bed was easy, but waking up in the morning or going to bed at night and no longer waking her up grew impossible. I swear she heard everything. My mom recommended a 'White Noise Machine' and it was a miracle! The sound blocked everything out, and I'm not kidding that my husband and I had a hard time sleeping after she had her own room and we no longer heard her white noise machine. My husband always jokes that he's going to get is our own. Good luck!"-M

5) "I don't know if there's such a thing, but I think the whole arm to crib thing has to do with warmth. In your arms the baby is so warm and cozy, as soon as you put him down it's cold and empty. So maybe you could research and see if there's some type of heating thing for the crib?"-B

6) "Try the 20 minute rule. Give your son 20 minutes of crying it out. If he doesn't stop pick him up and hold him for 20 minutes, and repeat. Eventually this will establish a pattern with your son and soon he'll wean off needing you and figure out how to put himself to back to sleep."-G

I think the emails made me feel better than if Nugget actually did sleep through the night. Sometimes having a pile of email advice at your side gives you a pile of hope for things to come. A new stock at the restless Nugget problem.
So what did I try, well to be honest I've yet to take the time to look online in regards to the warming pad B told me about and I'm still not 100% convinced that this is all teething so the cuddle and pick him up all the time has me nervous that it goes against the other advice of letting him cry through the night and not letting him test me. But I have started trying to get him back on his daily nap routine, started today that is, am giving him Motrin every 6-8 hours, I started this today as well and, as of yesterday, I ordered the White Noise sound machine from OneStepAhead.com. I did try the Pack-N-Play, but Nugget did not want to lay on the bottom. You know how the P.N.P's have a top layer for when the babies are new? Well, Nugget is to old for that now and, since he's standing, there's no way he can sleep there, but he hates the bottom. I don't know if it's because of the open sides that let him look out or because he knows it's not his crib, but he refuses to sleep in it, yet if you put him on the top he rolls right over and goes to sleep. So, the P.N.P experiment didn't happen.
Right now I'm just hopeful for the White Noise Machine that's on it's way, the 6-8 hour doses of Motrin and the daily routine that I'm about to put back in play.
In the meantime if anyone has any more ideas I'm all email.

No comments: