Thursday, October 30, 2008

Desperately Seeking Help

And another night goes to...Nugget. I don't know why I'm so shocked by it. Did I actually think that just because he slept the past two nights that I was out of the teething woods? Yes,I did. So for my punishment I received a night of crying and so far a morning and afternoon of no sleep either.
It began at 7, he'd been asleep for half an hour, just as I was sitting to have dinner (my husband works late so I eat by myself when Nugget goes down). Nugget awoke crying, I rocked him, soothed him, sang to him, yet he refused to go back down. Now I'm wondering if he's having a personal battle with his crib? Maybe his crib did something to offend or frighten him? Whatever it is, he does not want to go in it. And he loved it before. He was never even a rock to sleep kind of baby. If you tried he'd squirm in your arms and cry out in pain. He wanted to be put down, and as soon as you did that he'd roll over on his side and go to asleep-without another word. But now. Sigh. Now, somethings wrong.
The battle to get him to go down lasted until 9, when he finally passed out, and I finally got to eat. But at 11 o'clock he was back up with vigor. Kicking and screaming and throwing his pacifier out of his crib. ??? I'm so confused as to what to do at this point.
My husband came home and took over, rocking and rocking, but again nothing worked. By 1:30 my husband surrendered and brought him into bed with us, now you know the talks we've had about this and how against it I am, but almost instantaneously he stopped crying, curled into my husbands chest and fell asleep. I awoke an hour later, softly picked him up, laid him back in his crib, and paid the price when he awoke 5 minutes later madder than ever. Sigh.
Long story short, Nugget slept with us until 8 o'clock this morning. (If you call what we got sleep). He went down for a 20 minute nap at his normal morning time (which is normally an hour or more nap)and is currently crying in the other room-refusing to take his afternoon nap (which is a 2 hour nap or longer).
Nuggets eyes are all red, he's rubbing his eyes every second, unhappy and not sure what to do with himself. Frankly I feel the same exact way, only I have the feelings of lost, hopelessness and exhaustion to accompany me.
What is wrong with him? I am doing the right thing? Will letting him come into the bed with us during this difficult period spark an everlasting trend that won't get him out of our bed until he's 5, I read that in a horrible Parenting true story. Or does he just need to be with us during this hard period in his life?
I'm afraid my time, and energy, have been cut short at this time to make another trip to the Baby Guru for advice. But I'd appreciate any other.

Sincerely,
A tired, sleepless, struggling mother at this point

No comments: