Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Resolutions

"So..," my husband smiles at me. "Any New Years Resolutions this year?"
"A few," I smirk back. "Want to hear them?"
"Shoot."
"Well," I begin, turning to face him while pulling my legs underneath me as my excitement flows, I've been thinking about these resolutions since the Christmas season began. "I want to learn new things this year. I want to make 2010 a year of discovery, openness, excitement, knowledge. I want to de-clutter the house and finally get organized. I want to take all my half finished projects and make them complete. I want to go through all the recipes I cut out from my magazines and start making them. Only one a week," I say as my husbands face begins to frown, I've tried to many Martha Stewart gone dry recipes on him. "And I want to learn more about where we live. We've been in Long Beach for 5 years this February and I still don't know where Hempstead is. I'm going to go to the library and start checking out books about Long Island. I want to learn it's history and begin teaching it to our children. You moved here for the beach and I moved here for the city, but how often are we even doing that since we've had kids? Why not explore the island. I've never even seen the light houses, the Roosevelt Estates, Grey Gardens. I want to check out the Long Beach Museum. I want to know where the first house in Long Beach was built, is it still standing, what parts of the beach really existed and what parts are man-made, you know. And I want to watch more movies. I want to start going to the library and working my way through the movie section, starting with the A's and working my way down. I wonder how far I can get in the year?"
I look over my husband's head and stare at a plane flying overhead (one of my son's favorite afternoon activities on an indoor day)and think about the rows of movies I could discover.
"So, what about yours," I say as the plane creeps past our window.
"Well,....I just planned on calling my grandmother and your mother more this year."
"Oh..." I say with a smile.

No comments: