Thursday, January 28, 2010

A is for Acts Of Worship

Continuing on into the A movies of my New Years Resolution, though the first 3 have thus far been a disappointment, I rented Acts of Worship. The subtitle of the movie read, "You never know what someones been through." Sounds interesting, and I do believe everyone has a story to tell, so maybe this one will be good, I thought as the librarian searched her cabinets for the DVD.
The case classified it as a winner of the Santa Barbara film festival. "..a mercilessly gritty portrait...scenes that are so real they hurt," read Stephen Holden, The New York Times.
Every once in a while you stumble upon something that is great, and opens your eyes to a new world. For me that moment was when I walked into Barnes and Noble one cold NYC evening in 1998 and bumped into The Alchemist. It was a book I never forgot. To this day it sits on my shelf, and is the top book I recommend when someone peers upon my bookshelf and asks me what I recommend.
Sadly, Acts of Worship is not one of those. It will never sit on my shelf or be a point of reference when someone talks to me about addiction.
But, Acts of Worship did teach me one thing, I like things to get to the point. I like a little bit of mystery, but only enough to draw me in. Once I'm drawn in I want the meat, with the juice on top of it. And I think most people do to. So, note to self, when writing my next great thing-keep it short, brief and get to the meat. Who cares about the details between, they can be your pepper at the end.

No comments: