Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Reality of Manny

I recently realized, as I type that is, that my perspective on fiction and reality has become warped. Or should I say my perspective on cartoons and reality has become warped. Hmm.
It's a lazy Sunday, though it should be an active one since the sun is shining and Irish Day is no longer happening. However, as I hand Nugget his cup of milk and nuzzle up with my latest,I call him Meatball, he's so big already and he just turned 4 months, on the couch I notice that Manny has yet again walked into Kelly's shop and she had just what he needed. The tools love her. She's semi-cute, if you don't count the slight matronly look to her, and she has her own successful business just like Manny. I quickly wonder when they're going to make these two fall in love and realize they're made for each other. I mean I think it's obvious enough that Kelly and Manny secretly love each other already. Look at how they laugh with each other, speak their own mechanical language and always run to each other when a tragedy happens, like last week when there was a blackout and they were trapped in her shop together searching for flashlights for the town. If that doesn't say love I don't know what does.
Meatball finishes his bottle and Nugget helps me tap him on the back for his burp (Nugget loves to make the 'burp' sounds while doing this), meanwhile Manny is back at Kelly's shop to thank her for helping him today. "Kiss her," I find myself saying. "Take her in your arms tightly and tell her what she means to you already."
"Mommy," Nugget excitedly exclaims. "Mickey Mommy. Mickey!"
That's right. Mickey is about to come on. Mickey. Mickey Mouse. The cartoon. Like Manny and Kelly. A cartoon.
Oh Mommy, you really do need to get out. Or put the morning news on for a while.

No comments: