Sunday, December 14, 2008

Why You Need Mom Friends

I remember when Nugget was three months old and I was planning his Baptism. I'd found the place, arranged the time, the food and the guest list, but what I was having troubling sealing was my outfit. I wasn't entirely happy with how my body looked, so I needed a little help finding that perfect outfit. You know the one I'll be looking back upon 30 some odd years from now while my children make fun of it. I'd saw a few things in Oh La La's window on my afternoon strolls, but at this point I was still paranoid to take Nugget into a store by myself. That's when my girlfriend, one of the all without children yet, said she's take me and Nugget to the mall that Saturday. I was apprehensive, but she assured she'd help me with Nugget, the outfit and we'd have a great day together. It sounded wonderful. And, as most new moms know, a day out with my friend thrilled me to no end. An old part of me would be returning, and I would feel normal once again. I couldn't wait until that Saturday came, only it never did. My girlfriend ended up going shopping with another one of her friends. I'm not sure if she really forgot about our plans, or if that was just our cover up, but I stayed home while she shopped. I never really said anything, but my feelings were hurt. A week later when Coffee Bean had her baby I went to visit and let it all out. I cried. I questioned if I was a complete set back to our friends without children now, I knew I had a baby, but could that have affected our friendship that much? Kind of.
I get the phone calls and emails, "Miss you, Want to come by and see Nugget, he must be so big now," but they never really come. I still care about them, and them me, but the crazy lifestyle that I used to live with them isn't there anymore. Do I miss it? Of course. And do I miss them? Like crazy. But things change. That's why I looked forward to our holiday dinner last Friday night.
We had a great time. And by the end of the night, well my end that was, they all swore that the next morning was a Nugget morning. His birthday was around the corner so they all wanted to see him before he turned a year.
I scrubbed my house the next morning, made an extra large pot of coffee, some warm sweet treats and looked out the window a few times wondering if they were there. Nope, just a FedEx truck. And a family packed car. After an hour I text my friends, turns out they were all hung over, their night ended at 3 while mine ended at 12, and it didn't look like they were coming over. I tried not to let it effect my day. I tried not to let Nugget see that I was upset. I tried not to cry over it. But my feelings were hurt again. I didn't tell my friends. I didn't text them back. I just went about my day and thought-this is exactly why you need mom friends. Until the friends you have have children one day things aren't going to be the same, and sometimes that's more heartbreaking than the no show's.

No comments: