Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Everything I Loved about the Fall Festival




What a perfect weekend for the Fall Festival to debut. The weather was beautiful, the air was crisp and the scrumptious food warmed my autumn soul.
I saw the cutest costumes and fell in love with some of the parents creative ideas. I'm a sucker for original ideas. I never forgot the interview with Mike Myers on the Ellen DeGenerous show last year. Every year his mother used to design his costumes, but she always made him go as puns. For example, he told Ellen he went as a "Bad Taste In Your Mouth." The interview cracked me up, and I couldn't help but visualize the neighbors reactions to the costumes his mother dressed him up in. In my mind he was the kid that the neighbors looked forward to seeing every year. I bet they sat and contemplated what he would be at dinner parties and tried to figure it out when he was at the door.
One of the costumes that I loved was a young girl dressed as the Queen, she had the large white wig and everything, and I'm hoping she won. My girlfriend told me about a baby who was dressed as Elvis that I wish I saw and another told me about a baby dressed as a chick coming out of an egg. Halloween has to be one of my favorite holidays, right up there with Christmas, and I can't wait for all the Trick-or-Treaters to come so I can see more outfits! Note to self-maybe Boardwalk Babies should do a Halloween walk of our own next year. How cute would that be!
But back to the multiple things I loved, I must say that I started my morning with a cup of Starbuck's new Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and practiaclly swallowed it whole. Delicious and a must try for all!
Soon after walking into the festival I saw a woman pushing the most gorgeous stroller that I couldn't stop myself but say Hi and ask her about it. This stunning cream and blush colored stroller looked like it was straight out of a doll house. The woman pushing it, bearing a strong and intriguing Italian accent, said she's received it as a gift from her family in Italy. And when she went to show me her newborn baby I was blown away by the soft blush colored curtains that blocked the light from the baby. I can't express how stunning this stroller was. I snuck in a picture in the Fall Festival albulm for you to see as well. Don't worry, I got you covered.
Eventually I made my way into the Wine & Food tent where, though I didn't get to sample the wine, I must say the food sampling I did do was remarkable. The one that I thought about, and returned on Sunday for one more taste, was Lola's. Ahh, the chili, the pulled pork sandwhiches, I'm telling you I went home thinking about it. That makes me wonder, does Lola's have this on their everyday menu. If so, I'm in trouble. The owner, Marco, even came out to greet me and Nugget and talk about some of the great things his new restaurant is doing. This is definately a babysitter worthy place for a night out. One that my husband and I will be venturing on as soon as we come back from Upstate this weekend.
In the crafts tent I fell in love with some of the cutest frames! They were called "Designs By Elisa," and I thought they were so cute, almost like a scrapbook on a picture frame. But one of the splerges that I wish I made, but being a mom, felt to guilty spending the money on, was the photography book of Long Beach by Christina Tisi-Kramer, www.visionsoflongbeach.com. I thought this book was just gorgeuous and a perfect coffee table book for my guests.
But, to make my guilt surpress and make myself feel better, I headed back outside for a refreshing glass of lemonade and basket of sweet potato fries. And though they were good, the man who shouted for my order made my day. He made me laugh and left me walking home with a mouthful of warm fries and a smile.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Thanks!!! Even if you didn't purchase the book I appreciate the compliments. Best, Christina